Ashwell Post Office

It was built, originally as two cottages, on the site of Brassknocker Farm, which had been destroyed in the Great Fire of Ashwell in 1850.

Miss Nellie Bryant, a seamstress, lived here and had a bay window fitted to the right hand side of the building, where she could be seen working.

Barclay’s Bank rented the front room on the left hand side on Thursday mornings so that local employers could collect wages for their workers.

Nellie Bryant bequeathed the building to her chapel Deacon, Bert Gurney.

In 1939 Bert Gurney opened the Post Office in the left hand front room of the building, when Nellie Christy gave up the Post Office, which had been on the site adjacent to Bear Lane/The Rose and Crown.  Previously the Post Office had also occupied the site which is now the village store (VG).

In the early 1950s Mr and Mrs Moore opened up the right hand side as ‘The Singing Kettle’ café.

List of Owners:

       Early 1950s: Mr and Mrs Moore

       Later 1950s: Mr and Mrs Proudfoot

       1962-4:  Jim Nicholson

       1964-7: Bill Wood

       1967-71: Michael and Kay Richardson

       1971-6: John Thorpe

       1976-9: Mr and Mrs Payne

       1979-86: Arthur and Betty Harris

       1986-96: Kevin and Marion Morrison

       1996-present: Rob and Maureen Coston

A 1939 picture of the Searles’ shop, now part of 21 High Street.  On the corner had been Anderson’s, later Bonness’ Boot and Shoe shop, and then Collis’s General shop.

(Mr and Mrs B. Searle)  

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.