Dixies Stone

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Dixies Stone' page

Document typed by Jackie Embury from Miss Hislop's handwritten green book owned by Janet Chennells

 

 

The Dixie Stone stood for centuries near Dixies Farm.  It measures 3 feet across and weights 7 cwt.

It used to be thought in olden times that it had a religious significance.  No one knows from whence it came.

With the passing of the years the Dixie Stone came to have a less and less honoured role and was eventually used as a mounting block.

In 1840 it “found a home in the yard at Dixie’s Farm.  After many years it was moved to the Brewery.  During the last war the Home Guard moved it to a spot by the Old Mill Bridge, where it was thought it might be used as a road block, should the need arise.

It has now been brought back and set up on the green verge near Dixie’s Farm, and it is hoped that it may rest here for many years to come.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This page was added on 15/07/2011.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.