The Navvies Pubs
When the railway came to Ashwell ( to the south ), there was a need for drinking houses for the navvies who were digging the cuttings and building the embankments.
The Hit and Miss is believed to have been in Pembroke Farm on the Slip End Road from Ashwell, and seems to have stayed open only during the time that the navvies were around.
The other pub was on the Royston Road (A505). Originally called the Slip Inn, the name changed to the Hare and Hounds in about 1882. This pub eventually closed about 1937.