The Maltings was built in 1900 by the local brewery, Fordhams.
During the Second World War the building served as an army barracks and a prisoner-of-war camp for German and Italian prisoners. During this time the prisoners worked at Bluegates Farm. By government decree they were to be escorted to and from their place of work on a daily basis. Mr Wallace, the owner of the farm, would send a 14 year-old boy on a bike as their escort! Nevertheless the prisoners used to march in perfect formation and worked hard on the farm.
In 1964 the building became R White’s lemonade and soft drinks store.
In 1990 it was converted into 22 flats.
Research done by
Danny Adams (when aged 11)
and Jodie Sheldrick (when aged 9)