The Bushel and Strike
We believe the Bushel and Strike was built in 1854.
It began as a house which was next door to an older pub called the Wheatsheaf. In 1669 the Wheatsheaf had produced its own coin.
This pub was later pulled down and the current house became the Bushel, which was an old beer house until 1930.
The Old Club Room, which was used as a working men’s sick benefit club, is now the restaurant.
Sir William Gentle was born in the Bushel and Strike in 1864. His father was the landlord. In 1930 he paid for the restoration of Ashwell Village Museum.
Researched and written by Henry Carter, when aged 10.