George Fordham and his son Edward George began brewing in Mill street in 1836.The brewery included a tun room,cleansing room, a counting house and the brewery office.The equipment was powered by a water wheel driven by water from a leat passing under the buildings. Beers brewed included XXXX, Double stout, Oatmeal stout, Milk stout, Brown ale, Pale ale, Best Pale ale, Light ale, Light Bitter ale, Old Ashwell ale and Luncheon ale.
The brewery had its own maltings, two in Mill Street, and the large maltings in Green Lane which was built in 1902.
Greens of Luton made an offer for the brewery in 1952 which was accepted.Well over 2,000,000 bottles of beer were bottled in 1932, and bottling continued in Mill Street until 1965. Brewing had ceased when the brewery was taken over.
The brewery was demolished in 1973, however the malting by the River Rhee and that in Green Lane still stand, having been converted into accommodation.