Beatrice Mary Christy, a biography
Beatrice Mary (Trixie) Christy was born on the 28 April 1910 at Barnes, Surrey, she was the only daughter of Charles Alexander Christy 1877-1950 of Ashwell, Hertfordshire an Antique Dealer at Harrods, London and Catherine Fraser 1878-1961 of Suffolk. Beatrice had a brother Alexander Fraser Christy 1905-1966.
Beatrice’s grandparents were Abraham Hart Christy 1845-1909 of Ashwell, Hertfordshire, Post Master and Grocer and Mary Susan Thorne 1850-1920 also of Ashwell, Hertfordshire.
In about 1928 Beatrice attended a London Art College, in 1930 exhibited at the RCA and The Chicago Arts Institute in 1939, her wood engravings were well regarded a copy of one, The White Lodge, was purchased by the Queen Mother as it was where she and King George lived after their marriage.
Beatrice disliked her name and later used her second name Mary.
During the 1930s Beatrice lived with her parents at Roxborough Park, Harrow on the Hill, Middlesex
In 1940 Beatrice served in the WAAF during WWII training in radar becoming part of a unit known as the ‘Beam Benders’, which attempted to misdirect the German bombers away from their intended targets.
Beatrice didn’t take up wood engraving again after the war later working for Courtaulds after which she trained as an Occupational Therapist working at Shenley Mental Hospital until she retired.
In later years Simon and his brother Nigel Christy, Beatrice’s nephews, helped her to move into a care home in Reading where she died aged 93 in 2003.
Another post about her can be found here: Beatrice Mary Christy with several of her engravings illustrated. You can also search for her in the Collections section of the website.