ASHWELL 1100 EVENTS
- Festival of Quilting in St Mary’s Church, March.
- Ashwell at Home Day, Sunday 14th May, took the 11th centenary of Ashwell as its theme. Eleven different displays, talks and performances, one for each of Ashwell’s eleven centuries, featured on the programme, in addition to all the usual open gardens and other events and attractions.
- Ashwell and Friends, Sunday 21st May, in St Mary’s Church. The Ashwell Music Festival included this concert of local talent, featuring music and readings by and about Ashwell and its people.
- Lindy Hop, Saturday 3rd June, Ashwell Village Hall. A celebratory evening of 1940s dancing and music.
- Vintage Tea Party, Saturday 24th June, Wolverley House. The residents of Wolverley House sheltered housing cordially invited everyone to join them for a traditional afternoon tea with home-made scones and cake.
- Ashwell Village 1100th Anniversary Street Party, Sunday 9th July. All Ashwell residents were invited to a party in the High Street, which was closed between Gardiners Lane and Hodwell for the event. Ashwell Rainbows sang and danced traditional English nursery rhymes and local musicians played and sang to entertain the almost 800 villagers who attended.
- Centenary Walk, Saturday 19th August. Meet at 10:00 am at The Three Tuns, Ashwell. Walk to Dunton for lunch at The March Hare. Return to Ashwell approx. 5:00 pm. Terrain is easy/moderate. Round trip 8 to 10 miles.
- National Heritage Weekend Fri 8th, Sat 9th and Sun 10th September.
Ashwell Museum will be open free of charge and there will be a programme of free guided walks around the historic centre of the village, starting from the Museum, as follows:
Friday 8th September
Museum open: 14:00 – 16:00
Saturday 9th September
Museum open: 10:00 – 16:00 Walks: at 11:00 and 14:30
Sunday 10th September
Museum open: 11:00 – 17:00 Walks: at 11:30 and 14:30
- Second Commemorative Tree Planting, Tuesday 12th September. 2:30 pm in Ashwell School Meadow, followed by tea. All welcome.
- Ben Goldscheider Concert, Friday 15th September, St Mary’s Church.
Chamber Music, with Ben Goldscheider, Richard Uttley and Callum Smart:
Beethoven – Horn Sonata
Schumann – Violin Sonata
Vinter- Hunter’s Moon
Schumann – Adagio and Allegro
Brahms – Horn Trio
Tickets can be bought at the door.
- Centenary Walk, October. Details to follow.
- Jazz Concert, Saturday 28th October, Details to follow.
- Illustrated Talk and Film Screening, November. Illustrated Talk on the story of the Merchant Taylors’ School Ashwell and a Screening of the BBC TV programme “Look Stranger” made in the 1970s about Ashwell, John Morris and the Domesday Book. Details to follow.
- Final Commemorative Tree Planting, Saturday 9th December. 11:00 am. A commemorative tree to be planted in Angells Meadow as the final event in the centenary celebrations. Refreshments at URC Hall afterwards.
Other events still at the planning stage:
– A Quarter Peal of bells by the Ashwell bell-ringers.
– Sowing of wild flower seeds on verges and hedgerows in the parish.
– A whole school project on the History of Ashwell for Ashwell School pupils in the Autumn Term.
Many thanks to Cathie Felstead for designing the handsome Ashwell 1100 logo, based on an Anglo-Saxon coin of about 917, with a river and ash leaves surrounding a central A for Ashwell.