Grand Houses

Photo:Westbury House

Westbury House

The house was built as part of the Page's Brewery site. It was called Daw's House in 1877.

Photo:Ratcliffe House, High Street

Ratcliffe House, High Street

Bult as a girls school in 1841 the brick face was added in 1878 when it was converted to a house.

Photo:Rear of Ratcliffe House

Rear of Ratcliffe House

Typical appearance of rendered clay bat walls

Photo:Cliff House, Kingsland Way

Cliff House, Kingsland Way

Built in 1873 in a former chalk pit

Larger Houses constructed of Clay Bats

By Peter Greener

Surprisingly the use of clay bats was not confined to houses of the lower social status and a few examples still survive in Ashwell.

 

Built as a school in 1841 Ratcliffe House by Baileys, the Ashwell building firm, whose account books provide us with the first documentary evidence of the use of clay bats in Ashwell.

This page was added on 20/06/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.