Post Office Directory 1861

Ashwell Entry

Typed by Jackie Embury

1866 Post Office Directory


Ashwell is a parish and large village, in Odsey hundred, Royston union and county court district, rural deanery of Baldock, archdeaconry of St. Albans, and diocese of Rochester, situate among the chalk hills in the valley of the Rhee, at the extreme north of the county, 41 miles from London, 2 north-west from the Ashwell station on the Royston and Hitchin line.  4.1/2 north-east from Baldock, and 7 south-west from Royston:  It is supposed to have been a Roman town or station, under the name of Magrovinium:  Roman coins have been found here, and at the time of the Norman Survey it was a market town, and had several annual fairs:  It now consists of several small streets of scattered houses and farms irregularly placed, and the inhabitants are wholly engaged in agricultural pursuits.  Ashwell Fields, a large tract of common land, has been brought into cultivation.  The thirty springs of the Cam rise in the village, and form the head of the river Cam, or Granta, which flows through the valley of the Rhee, passes by Cambridge, and joins the Ouse, 3 miles south from the city of Ely.  On both sides of the river large beds of coprolites have been discovered;  they are extensively worked, and after undergoing some chemical change, form the basis of a manure now largely used in agriculture.  The church of the Virgin Mary, an ancient Gothic building, has nave, chancel, aisles porches, and lofty square tower, surmounted by a finely tapering spire;  about halfway up the latter an external gallery, resembling a ducal coronet, encircles it:  there 6 bells:  the height of the tower and spire is 175 feet.  The register dates from 1686.  The living is a vicarage, yearly value £513, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Rochester, and held by the Rev. Henry William Hodgson, M.A., of Balliol College, Oxford.  There is a Free school, founded and endoweded by Mr Henry Colbron in 1655:  he left £1,000 in trust to the Merchant Taylors’ Company, who built the school and the master’s house in 1681:  the appointment of the master is vested in the Company.  There is a school for girls, which was built in 1840, and is under the  management of Mrs. Ratcliffe.  There are chapels for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and the Society of Friends.  At Harborough Banks, half a mile south, are the remains of a quandrangular entrenchment, probably Danish.  Mobb’s Hole is a farm, 2 miles noth.  Highley Hill is 2 miles south-east.  The soil is chalky, but very favourable for the growth of barley.  The population in 1861 was 1,507;  the area of the parish is 3,852 acres of hilly land.

Post & Money Order Office & Post Office Savings Bank – George William Christy, postmaster.  Letters arrive from Baldock at 7.15 a.m.;  dispatched at 6 p.m.

Insurance Agents:-
Accidental Death, John Goffage
Liverpool & London & Globe,  J. W. Flitton, Ashwell Mill
Railway Passengers, J. Goffage
Royal,  G. W. Christy
Royal Farmers’ Fire, Life & Hailstorm, George William Christy

Merchant Taylors’ Company’s Endowed School, John Goffage, master

Carrier – Gilby, to Hitchin, on Tuesday at 8 a.m.;  to Royston on Wednesday at 8 a.m.

Bacon Mr. Edward
Hodgson Rev. Henry Wm. M.A. (vicar)
Millsom Rev. Jas. Buckley (Independent)
Tavener Edmund, esq. Ellbrook House
Thomas Mr John
Tindale Edward, esq

Atkins George & Thomas, carpenters
Ayres Joseph, tinman
Bacon John Lewin, farmer
Bacon William Edward, saddler
Bailey John, bricklayer
Bailey Peter, jun. bricklayer
Bailey Peter, sen. Bricklayer
Berry Abraham, beer retailer, ‘Chalkmans Knowle’
Betts Sarah (Mrs), beer retailer
Bonfield George, ‘Three Tuns’
Bryant James, shopkeeper
Bryant William, blacksmith
Carter George, watch maker
Chapman John, farmer
Chapman Thomas, jun. farmer
Chapman Thomas, sen. farmer
Christy Benjamin, jun brewer
Christy Benjamin, sen. farmer
Christy George William, grocer & draper
Day Emma (Mrs) baker
Dunham Joseph, wheelwright
Dunham William, tailor
Edwards Benjamin, ‘Rose & Crown’ & Blacksmith
Edwards Charles, shopkeeper
Edwards Charles, tailor
Edwards Thomas, tailor
Flitton Allen, miller
Fordham Edward King & Herbert, brewers
Fordham Edward King, farmer, Ashwell bury
Gentle William, ‘Bushel & Strike’
Gillett William, shopkeeper
Hoye Arundle, plumber & glazier
Huffer Grace (Mrs), beer retailer
Humphrey Moses, ‘Hare & Hounds’
Ingrey Louisa (Mrs), shopkeeper
Kirbyshire Benjamin, miller
Kitchener Edward, farmer
Kitchener William, butcher
Langley Thomas, cooper & brewer
Lees Thomas, farmer, Jessamine farm
Merry Chandler Robertson, farmer
Nash Charles, farmer, Ayre park
Pack William, blacksmith
Payne Edward, jun. farmer
Pearce Mary (Miss), shopkeeper
Picket George, beer retailer
Picking Susannah (Mrs), ‘Six Bells’
Picking William, carpenter
Pittey James, wheelwright
Sale John, farmer
Scott Nathan, butcher
Smith Daniel, beer retailer
Stickland William, baker
Thorn Mary (Mrs) wheelwright
Thorn Samuel, tailor
Tindale Edward, surgeon
Thomas John, schoolmaster
Tindale Edward, surgeon
Waldock John, shopkeeper
Warren David, farmer
Warren Jeremiah, ‘Cuckoo’
Westrope Charles, farmer
Westrope John, farmer
Westrope Thomas William, grocer & draper
Winter Robert, shoe maker
Worland Abbiss, ‘Bull’s Head’







This page was added on 01/03/2012.
Comments about this page

these trade directory entries are most helpful, are there plans for more?

By alan evenson
On 26/03/2012

We will add as many as we can. the limit is only dependent on the good will and patience of volunteers to type the entry.

By Peter Greener
On 26/03/2012

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.